Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Using the latest Internet technology, we allow two strangers to chat with each other anonymously. 2011, Networking is the key. Connecting with people in virtual world is what we all do. Everyone is a stranger until you become friends with them. Most people get stress with work or school and badly need to pass time. Sometimes, they get bored chatting face to face with friends too. So they switch to random video chatting with strangers. Chat roulette is the most common site to do so since it’s a web application which uses peer-to-peer connection.
Our recent assignment was to break away from the multimedia and online social services and talk to someone in person, a stranger face to face. I decided one day to ride the shuttle across campus to my next class instead of walking to class like I usually do.  It just so happened to be a rainy so the shuttle was packed, possibly making the ride less awkward being I had found the last seat next to this girl.  As I sat down I said hi and proceeded to talk about how shitty the weather was and how I didn’t want to be going to my classes.  She responded the same way and the conversation was flowing well, until her phone vibrated in her hand.  I felt that since I was a stranger she gave first priority to her electronic device and for the rest of the ride she was blowing up whoever was on the other side.  I would try to start the conversation again but every time I was interrupted by a more important text message. Before I knew it I had reached my stop, I stood up and said, “good bye was nice riding with you, have a great day,” and walked off the bus.
I felt that because I was a stranger even though she was sweet enough to have a conversation with a friendly stranger, she still had other priorities then talking with someone face to face. Maybe it was something she wasn’t used to or doesn’t normally do on a day to day basis.  For me, I felt like I had accomplished something new that I haven’t done for awhile and was connected for a bit with a human being not on a social site that I didn't know. Will I do it again? From now I made an agreement with myself to not make it an awkward moment when faced with having to share or sit next to a stranger and instead start up a conversation and network face to face rather than over online.

1 comment:

  1. Paul -- too bad you weren't able to get HER to put down the phone. While you're thinking about this, though, what might Goffman have to say about this? How about Byron Reeves (who does the old brain/new media research)? Let's add a little theory to this mix.

    ReplyDelete